COKATO TRIVIA ~ COKATO'S STREET NAMES
A frequently asked question at the museum is "where did the street names come from?" The original plat of the city showed seven (7) named avenues. Since then, several more have been added. Here are our best guesses as to where those early names came from.
- Johnson Avenue: This one remains a mystery. There were so many Johnsons living in early Cokato, so it is not certain who the lucky Johnsn was.
- Jackson Avenue: Named after Edwin Jackson, who put together the surst survey of the Village of Cokato.
- Jenks Avenue: Samuel Jenks owned the west half of the land that made up the original village. He later sold most of that land.
- Millard Aveune: This one is not certain. It could be after the 14th President of the United States, Millard Fillmore, who took over for Zachary Taylor when he died in office in 1850. The other possibility is Dr. Perry H. Millard, who has a building named after him on the University of Minnesota campus.
- Broadway Avenue: Need we say more? (Any guesses as to how many towns and cities have a Broadway Avenue?)
- Mooers Avenue: Josiah Mooers buils a house on Sucker Creek and settles in Mooers Prairie (later Stockholm Township) in 1856. His family ranks as among the earliest permanent white settlers to the area. He was later first postmaster of Cokato.
- Lee Avenue: Named after Benjamin Lee, who owned much of what would became the east half of Cokato Village. Many people in town live on a lot that is in "Lee's Addition."